Facebook fans across the world will be popping champagne and eating cake today.
The social site is 10 years old and, although it might not be the coolest website anymore, it’s still one of the most popular.
Computer geek, Mark Zuckerberg, created Facebook in his Harvard university dorm, and it now has over a billion users worldwide.
So on its 10th birthday, here are some fun facts about Facebook.
FOUNDER: Mark Zuckerberg, left, founded Facebook 10 years ago [FACEBOOK]
1. The Facebook logo is blue because of founder Mark Zuckerberg’s colour blindness. The colour that he can see best is blue – decision made!
2. There are currently more than 1.25billion Facebook users across the world with more than 33million of them in the UK.
ORIGINAL: The site used a picture Al Pacino until it was removed in 2007 [FACEBOOK]
3. The original Facebook website had an image of a man’s face on it. Dubbed the “Facebook guy” it was recently revealed that the photo was actually Hollywood legend Al Pacino.
4. On average, users spend 20 minutes per day on Facebook. If you want to know just how many hours you’ve wasted on the social site, there’s even a calculator that will work it out.
TIME WASTER: [TIME]
5. Four days after Facebook went live it had just 650 users. On September 14, 2012, the team at Facebook watched the one-billionth user sign up.
6. Around 78% of all traffic to Facebook comes from our smartphones and we upload around 350million photos to the site every day.
SMART MOVE: Most of use our phones to check what’s going on on Facebook [FACEBOOK]
7. Internet entrepreneur Steve Chen worked at Facebook for a few months before quitting to set up a small website called YouTube!
8. Coca-Cola is the most “liked” company on Facebook with more than 79million fans giving it the thumbs up. Disney comes in second place with more than 46million likes and fashion label Converse is in third place.
WE LIKE: Coca-Cola has the most likes on Facebook [FACEBOOK/COCA-COLA]
9. According to the Guinness Book of Records, on March 30, 2013, Guru Shri Rajendraji Maharaj Jaap Club (India) achieved the most comments ever made on a Facebook post. A whopping 15,626,405 people decided to have their say on his page.
10. Finally, if you fancy taking Facebook off Mr Zuckerberg’s hands you’d better have a healthy bank balance… It will currently cost you a cool $134billion (£82billion) [KES11.5trillion].